Today is Thanksgiving so I thought I'd share some of the things I'm thankful for. I know everyone is doing this on Facebook but I have not participated. Even though I could easily think of 24 things I'm thankful for the thought of having to remember to post one each day was just more than I could handle! So instead I'm posting my top 10 here:
1. My husband. I don't give him enough credit and I shower much more love and affection on our children than I do on him but the reality is without him I wouldn't have these amazing children. I do love him and I am very thankful that he found his way into my life 18 years ago. And when the children have moved on with their lives (and settle down with their families a mile away :) I know Jeff and I will have many more years of happiness and fun ahead!
2. My children. I always knew I wanted to be a mom, hence the fact that I became a mom very young, but I never knew how much I would enjoy my children as people. I love the fact that they are just really great people and I enjoy spending time with them. I remember an episode of Frasier where he tells Roz that you expect to love your children, but what you don't expect is to fall in love with your children. I am madly in love with my children. I can't wait to talk to them each day. When they have been away I get excited to see them. They are such a blessing in my life!
3. My family. My mom and sister are two of my very best friends. I know that I am so spoiled to live a mile from each of them and to have the luxury of seeing them whenever I want.
4. 10 extra years. I lost my dad much too young. He was only 61 and I was 35. I feel a hole in my heart whenever I think about him but I am so thankful for the 10 extra years we got from his successful heart transplant. During those ten years he got to welcome 4 of his 6 grandkids into this world and my own girls were so blessed to see him on a daily basis. They have such wonderful memories of their grandpa Rick that they would not have had without those 10 extra years.
5. My job. I love working and often say that I am a better mom because I work (which I wholeheartedly believe.) I am thankful for a job that I enjoy doing and for the new opportunity I have taken on this year. I am thankful that I am able to provide for my family when so many are not.
6. My friends. Over the years I have "accumulated" many groups of friends. I have my Indianola friends, my high school friends, my college friends, my Good Shepherd friends, work friends. I am thankful for each and every one and I am thankful for Facebook who helped bring some of them back into my life and allows me to keep tabs on everyone.
7. Technology. I am thankful for all the brilliant people who have worked so hard over the years to create all of the technology that makes our lives so easy and enjoyable today! What did we do without computers, dvr, cell phones?? I know we could live without them but I'm thankful that we don't have to!
8. Travel. I am so thankful that travel has become achievable for the average person. Growing up not a lot of people were flying to Mexico for vacation, only the very rich. Today I think travel is much more accessible and I am so thankful for that. I have loved all of the vacations that we have taken as a family, whether just the four of us or extended. It has created memories that you cannot put a price on (but lucky for me the price isn't that high thanks to internet deals and my savvy bargain skills!)
9. Good Shepherd. I have belonged to Good Shepherd since 1985 but specifically for the past 10 years it has been so much to us. It has been a wonderful school for our girls providing them with a great education in a safe, secure and faith based environment. It has been our social life providing us with innumerable new friendships and many social opportunities such as Fall Festival, Lollapalooza and Good Shepherd Married Couples. It has been our place of worship. It has been our recreation hub with CYO sports. I cannot express what a blessing Good Shepherd has been for us as a family.
10. God. For everything above I am most thankful to God. He is good.