What's on the agenda for the weekend? Looking for a family friendly outing? May I suggest the Drive In? YES! There are still Drive In Movie Theaters! Here in Johnson County we love the Boulevard Drive In. Taking the kiddos to the Drive In is on our "to do list" every summer. Here's the down-low:
1. Movies start at dark, so this weekend that means a little after 9.
2. It is CHEAP!!! Anyone 12 and over is $8, kids 11 and under are FREE. This is for TWO movies! Not just one.
3. You can bring in all the treats you want. We have gone super easy, picking up a pizza or subs on the way, and we have done home-cooked, grilling up sausages with peppers and onions before we left home and transporting them in a Pyrex Portable with a hot pack. They also have a concession stand but I have to honestly say I have never set foot inside so I can't vouch for the quality of eats or what they even serve. We always pre-pop popcorn and bring some drinks and candy.
4. No grilling or alcohol is allowed.
5. Get there early. We usually try to be there by 7:45 so we can get a good spot, in the middle, toward the front. We've never had an issue.
6. Put the kids in their jammies and bring the pillows and sleeping bags. Our typical set up is we back into our spot, put soccer chairs up behind the van for the adults and let the kids set up their camp inside the van with pillows and sleeping bags. It can be a little stuffy if it is hot outside but with both the sliding doors open it allows some air to move through. Next time we have decided we will bring the F-150 and put a blow up mattress in the back. So if you own a truck you may give that a whirl.
7. Settle in and enjoy. We usually only make it through the first movie as the second one doesn't start til after 11 but a few weeks ago we made it through both movies for the first time (which makes the price tag even more reasonable!)
So what's the down side?
Honestly, this isn't the greatest part of town. It is on Merriam Lane in KCK. Leaving at 1:30 in the morning does make me a little uncomfortable but we've never had a problem.
It is near a train track so several time throughout the movie you will hear trains go by making it a little difficult to hear the movie.
So I hope you'll check out the drive in, with or without kids it is a great way to spend a summer evening. This weekend The Boulevard is showing Kung Fu Panda 2 and The Green Lantern. If you live in KC here is the link to their website which they update weekly with the movies of the week:
If you don't live in KC, check out this website which lists Drive In Theaters all over the country.